A Custom Assessment is used to assess knowledge of particular skills, strands and/or standards. It can be administered frequently and is used to measure a small number of very specific skills or used broadly to measure a full nine week period. It can also be administered as a pre- and post-test to measure learning gains.
When creating the assessment, you can refine it by subject, grade, state standards or strand/skill. An Individualized Learning Path (ILP) can be created for each student or the test can simply be used to assess knowledge.
Student Progress Report
The Student Progress report is used to view student results on a Custom Assessment. From its results, you can monitor student progress and view the impact of an ILP against weakness.
Generating the Report
What to Look For
As you read the report, notice the following items:
- For failing scores, notice the amount of time the student spent taking the assessment. How does this compare to the other students? Is the amount of time adequate?
- In the heading of the Student Results by Strand page of the report, you can see the grade level of the student as well as the grade level of the skills that were assessed.
- Has the student taken this assessment more than once? If so, did the student show growth?
- How did the student perform on his/her ILP? Did the student get enough time-on-task in Classworks to complete his/her ILP? Are there any units that the student did not master? If so, you may want to generate an Assignment Results report to view additional details. (Click here for information about the Assignment Results Report).
- Have you conferenced with the student to discuss his/her scores both on the assessment as well as on the ILP?
Example: Summary of Student Results
Example: Student Results by Strand
Example: Results by Strand (%) and Classworks ILP Data
Export to File Option
You can export the results of a custom assessment into a spreadsheet. This option allows you to export the results for multiple classes, teachers and/or schools. For example, a principal or district level person may want the results of a common assessment that has been shared school or district wide. Users can manipulate the data as needed.
You can export the Custom assessment data into a .csv (i.e. spreadsheet) file.
The file contains the following data:
- Test name
- School, Teacher, and Class name
- Student name
- Date Student completed the assessment
- District ID
- Set Mastery Level of Assessment
- Strand % by Grade Level
- Student's score
The export will display all students selected to report on. This will include students who have completed the assessment as well as those who still have the assessment assigned or skipped.
Note: Students who have not taken the assessment will not have a date completed or a score listed.
Exporting the File
|1||Navigate to the Classes tab.|
|2||Place a check in a box next to the name of a class(es).|
|3||Click Create Report.|
|4||Report Type: Assessment|
Select: Custom Assessment
Select: Custom Assessment Results Export
|6||Select the appropriate assessment and click Next.|
|7||Select a file format.|
|8||Click the Export to File button.|