This document provides an overview of the types of assignments, how they are organized and how to decide which to use.
What is an Assignment?
An assignment is the instructional content the student will work on, based on either a teacher’s decision or based on assessment scores. For example: a teacher may decide to have their students work on skills that correlate to what is being taught in the classroom. Each assignment contains units which are tightly aligned to your state standards. The units are made up of a Mini-Lesson, Learning Activities, and a Quiz.
How Students Receive the Assignments
Once you have identified the skill(s) the student should work on, you must then assign the appropriate assignment. These can include teacher-created assignments, assignments created and shared by another user at your school, or Classworks created assignments. Some assignments are generated and assigned from imported test scores (such as your high stakes test scores) or after students finish a Classworks assessment. These automatically generated assignments are called ILP's - Individualized Learning Paths. The skills the students work on are based on how the student performed on the assessment.
Types of Assignments
You can select from three types of assignments:
My Created Instruction: These are custom assignments you have previously created and saved. Users can create custom assignments for students. This allows the user to tailor assignments to focus on a particular standard(s). Creating custom assignments gives the user the ability to organize units in a specific order, align to a pacing guide, refine by a specific learning style, select only certain components of the unit structure, target skills on multiple or single grade levels, or refine by the instructional application.
Classroom Instruction: This is made up of Classworks Classroom Content (Integrated Reading Activities, Classworks Applied Mathematics, and Science).
Shared: These are custom assignments other users have created and shared within your school.
From the Instruction tab you can:
- View the details of the assignments.
- View how the Classworks assignments align with State Standards and the Common Core.
- Launch and preview each of the unit components.
- Create a custom assignment or edit a previously created assignment.
- Share a custom assignment with teachers in your school.
Accessing Assignments from the Instruction Tab
Reminder: You cannot assign instruction from this tab.
To access the Instruction tab, you must first log into Classworks. Once you have logged in:
- Click on the Instruction tab.
- Three categories of assignments will be listed: Created, Classroom, and Shared.
- Click on the arrow symbol beside Classroom Instruction to expand the list and see all available grades/units. You can continue to click the arrow symbol to drill down to the most granular level needed.
- To create a new assignment, click on the Create New button under the My Created Instruction section.