Classes can be created either manually, by any staff user or by being imported by a District Admin User. This document explains how to import classes into Classworks. In order to complete this import, you will need a data file with the student, teacher, and class information. This information can be exported from your school’s Student Information System (SIS).
Note: Prior to being able to import classes, you must have already imported your staff and students. Click here for more information.
Download a Sample File
Click here to download a sample Class Enrollment .csv file.
- Prior to import, you will need to extract the required data from your Student Information System (SIS). It must be saved in a .csv file format.
- Column headers are required. The first cell in each column must contain the column's name as the heading.
- The information must be placed in the exact column specified (see below). For example, column C must be the Teacher District User ID.
- In order to ensure that all classes are imported into the correct school group, make sure you check each school's School Information System (SIS) ID/Code. You can do this by clicking on the Administration Tab and the Schools sub-tab. Each SIS ID must be entered into Classworks exactly as it is listed on the file.
A - Student District User ID - Alphanumeric, 20 characters max.
B - Class Name - Alphanumeric, 60 characters max.
C - Teacher District User ID - Alphanumeric, 20 characters max.
D - School SIS ID - Alphanumeric, 12 characters max.
- A. Student District User ID – This is a unique identifier for each student. This column allows a maximum of 20 alphanumeric characters and is a required field. This should match the district ID currently in the Classworks Manager for each student.
- B. Class Name – The name of the class must be unique for each class. This column allows a maximum of 60 alphanumeric characters and is a required field. If a class name cannot be exported from the SIS, one can be created by using the teacher’s name, grade level and subject.
- C. Teacher District User ID – This is a unique identifier for each staff member. This column allows a maximum of 20 alphanumeric characters and is a required field. This should match the district ID currently in the Classworks Manager for each teacher.
- D. School SIS ID – A unique identifier assigned to the school, alphanumeric, 12 characters maximum, and is a required field. This ID needs to match what is in the Classworks manager and can be found on the Administration tab > Schools sub-tab.
1. Click on the drop-down menu and select the Administration page.
2. Select the Import sub-tab.
3. Click the + Create New link.
4. Select the Import Type: Class Data.
5. Click the Upload File button to select the .csv file that contains all information for the class import.
You will see a popup that asks you to select the file you would like to upload.
6. Click Choose Files, locate your file and then click Send.
Note: If errors are found, you will be notified and required to fix them. Click Close X to exit this screen and begin the process again with the corrected file.
7) If no errors are found, click Next.
8) Once the file has been uploaded, click Submit to complete the import process.
Note: All import processing will be performed during off-peak hours. You will receive notification via email once the process has been completed and all classes have been imported.
After submitting the file, you can access the details of the import by navigating back to the Administration page > Import sub-tab.
You will see the following:
- Import Number
- Description (optional)
- Complete Date
Click on the Import Number to view the details of the import. You also have the option to download a copy of the file that was imported.
Note: If the status shows failed, there were additional errors found in your file. These need to be fixed and you will need to begin the import process again with the corrected file.