This procedure is used whenever you need to locate a specific user, view the groups and/or classes the user belongs to, edit a users' information or enable/disable/delete a user. District Administrators within Classworks can also search for and resolve duplicate users.
In this article, we will go over how to:
Search For and Locate a User
1. Click your name in the top right then click Manage Classworks.
2. Within the Users sub-tab, select the appropriate fields/filters to locate and display your user(s).
View a User's Groups and Classes
1. Clicking the user's last name opens the Edit User window.
The groups a user belongs to are shown in the Groups section, the Classes are displayed in the Classes field (students only).
Edit User Information
Edit options include:
Update the user's name, username, ID, password, grade (students only).
Edit student demographic information.
Edit email address.
1. To edit a user, click on the staff or student's last name. The Add or Edit User window will appear.
2. Update the appropriate information and click Save.
Add a user to a Group
1. From the Administration page > Users sub-tab, click on a user's name. The Edit User window will appear.
2. In the Edit User window, add a user to a group by clicking the blue + add new link. The Add User to Groups screen will display.
3. Use the Search feature to narrow down the list of groups.
4. Put a check in the box beside the group you want to add, then click Add.
5. When you are done editing the user information, click the Save button in the bottom left of the Add or Edit User screen.
Export a Group of Students
You have the ability to export a set of users to use the bulk enrollment functionality to add the users to a new group, such as a custom group, or modify the properties of the users. This may include adding fields such as demographics or updating fields in mass.
To export users out of the Classworks manager into a .csv file:
1. From the Administration tab > Users sub-tab, use the filters on the right-hand side of the screen to locate the appropriate students.
Note: You can always remove users from the exported .csv file if needed.
2. Click the Export button.
3. Click the Export to File button. The following fields will be exported:
Password (Student Only)
School SIS ID
User Type (0= student 1= staff)
Note: It will export all users that match the current search criteria determined by the filters selected.
4. For directions on how to utilize the bulk enrollment functionality or for information on Custom Groups, look for the articles in the Classworks Resource Center.
Remove User from a Group
1. From the Administration page > Users sub-tab, click on a user's name. The Add or Edit User screen will appear.
2. In the Groups section, check the box to the left of the group name, click the Actions dropdown and select Remove.
3. A warning will pop up. Click remove once more to remove the group.
4. Click Save!
Enable/Disable a Student
Use this option when you want a user to remain in the Classworks manager, but not allow access to the student or teacher module. This allows for ease of reactivation of students/staff who leave the school district and then later return. If a user has too many incorrect login attempts, they will be disabled. Use this functionality to enable them again.
1. From the Administration page > Users sub-tab, select the user(s) to be disabled.
2. Click the Mass Actions drop-down in the lower right and select Disable or Enable, then click Apply.
Delete a User
Note: It is recommended that inactive users be disabled rather than deleted. When a user is deleted, all of that user's data is deleted as well.
1. From the Administration page > Users sub-tab, select the user(s) to delete.
2. Click the Mass Actions drop-down in the lower right and select Delete and Apply.
Check for Duplicate Users
Note: This functionality is available only to users with District Administrative rights within Classworks.
Use this wizard to help you identify and manage duplicate users located in Classworks.
1. From the Administration page > Users sub-tab, click on the Check for Duplicates button.
2. Select your search option and click Next. Options include:
Particular school (a drop down menu will appear with a list of schools when this option is selected)
3. Select TWO or more fields to use when comparing/locating duplicate users in the system and click Next.
4. Decide what default action Classworks should take with the duplicates found and click Next.
Default Options include:
Merge the duplicate with the user that has the most usage or least usage. (Example: Two Johnny Smith's are located. One of them has more Time on Task than the other. The Johnny with less time on task will be merged into the user with the higher time on task or vice versa. Time on task includes time spent in both instruction and assessments)
Delete all but the user with the most usage or least usage. (Example: Two Johnny Smith's are located. One of them has more Time on Task than the other. The Johnny with less time on task will be deleted or vice versa. Time on task includes time spent in both instruction and assessments)
Note: You will have the ability to confirm these actions on the next screen.
5. Confirm the actions Classworks will take with each of the duplicates found.
Each “set” of duplicates will display separately.
The total number of duplicates found is displayed above the school & usage columns.
You can change the action by changing the status drop-down menu (descriptions of each action are listed on the screenshot below).
OK button: Confirms and performs the statuses selected for the user displayed and moves you on to the next duplicate user found.
OK All button: Confirms and performs the statuses selected for all the duplicate users found. Use this option if you do not wish to confirm the actions one user at a time.
Skip button: Skip moves you on to the next duplicate user. No action will be taken for that duplicate user.