This document explains how to create, view, edit, and approve/un-approve a district custom item.
In this article we will cover:
When creating district assessment items, there are general guidelines to follow. These guidelines are:
- Each item must be a multiple choice question
- Reading passages can be entered to accompany a question
- Each question can include up to 5 answer options
Create a New District Custom Item
1) Click the user drop-down menu and select Assessment Item Editor.
Note: a user with District Administrative rights will have to enable district custom assessments and designate other users specifically as a Creator or Approver.
2) Click on the Create New Item button.
Reading Passage (Optional): A passage can be added to accompany each question. This can also be used as a question purpose setting statement.
Question: Each item must be a multiple choice question.
Note: Both passages and questions can contain alphanumeric characters and images. See below for specifications.
Correct Answer: Insert correct answer to the question.
Distractors: Each question can include up to four distractors. The default setting is three distractors.
• Click the Add button to access the fourth distractor box.
• Click the Recycling Bin to remove distractor.
Note: Passage, questions, the correct answer, and distractors can contain alphanumeric characters and images. Item specifications can be found below.
4) Grade Level (GR) – Grades K-8, HS are the default options.
Subject: Math and Language Arts are the default subjects. If a district has added additional subjects, you can choose from those as well.
Strand – Select the correct strand from the drop down menu. This list will be populated once a subject is selected.
Depth of Knowledge (Cognitive Complexity)– Options are 1-5. Districts will determine the guidelines for what each option stands for.
Cross Curricular (Optional) – Allows districts to connect the question to another subject. By default, Math and Language Arts are available, and additional subjects can be added by the district
Item Tag (Optional) – You can select from a list of preset tags created by the district to help identify questions.
Alignment (Optional) - You can tag an item to a preset Classworks Alignment for Math or Language Arts.
5) Once all components of the new item have been completed, click the Save button.
Note: To exit the screen, click the X. Your changes will not be saved.
When creating new assessment items, districts have the ability to select specific item criteria and also format each item. Districts can also copy and paste text from additional sources to add to the text boxes. To ensure HTML compatibility, use the “Remove Formatting” icon if copying from an external source, such as Microsoft Word.
- Image Size- Districts have the ability to add images to any item via the upload icon. These images must be uploaded in png, gif, jpg or jpeg format and cannot be larger than 100KB. Images cannot be copy and pasted.
- Font Type – The supported font types are: Normal, Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New, Georgia, Trebuchet, and Verdana.
- Font Size- The options for font size are: XX-Small, X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, XX-Large.
- Background- This allows you to change the background color of the text added. You can choose between: White, Black, Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue.
- Foreground - This allows you to change the color of the text that will be added. You can choose between: White, Black, Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue.
Districts also have the ability to make changes to the text boxes using traditional tools and options as shown: