The Student Observation Page provides an opportunity for a teacher or a student support team member to record academic and behavioral observations for students, particularly those in upper tiers of intervention. Observations can be recorded for all portions of the school day, not just related to Classworks.
The observations recorded for a particular student are saved from year to year, helping each teacher through a student's academic career learn what interventions have or have not worked for a particular student. Having this information available can save teachers time and prevent them from having to start from scratch to learn the best way to reach and teach each student. This is also valuable information when students move from school to school within the district.
Users have the option of adding both positive and negative comments. This helps to portray a balanced view of the student as a whole.
In this article we will cover:
Ways to Use
Record your observations about student performance, academic and/or behavioral (see below), via your iPad/Tablet while working with students throughout the entire school day.
- Use to document when and why changes were made to a student's instruction (i.e. changing the level of the work assigned to the student based on classroom performance or assessment results). This includes work assigned outside of Classworks.
- Use to document academic successes or struggles for a student
- Use to document environmental interventions that may or may not have worked to improve student performance (i.e. Incentive programs or rewards that motivated the student or settings in which the student performs at his/her best).
- Use to document positive and/or negative behavior instances that may be useful documentation for the student support team members.
Enter a Student Observation
1) Click on a Student's Name. The Edit User screen will appear.
Note: This can be done from anywhere you see a student's name in the product. (By expanding an assignment/assessment within the Classes tab, or from the Administration Tab > User sub tab.)
2) Click on the Student Observations button located at the bottom of the pop-up.
A. Enter a category - Options: Academic or Behavioral
B. Enter a subject or class period (limit 12 characters)
C. Enter your observation (limit 250 characters)
D. (Optional) Denote the type of observation – either positive or negative - by clicking on either the + or – symbol
E. (Optional) Select a rating for the type of observation. A positive observation can be given 1 to 5 green checks (less positive to most positive). A negative observation can be given 1 to 5 red X's (less negative to most negative).
4) Click Save.
View Previously Entered Observations
1) Click on the Student's Name. The Edit User screen will appear.
Note: This can be done from anywhere you see a student's name in the product. (i.e. The Students Tab, by expanding an assignment/assessment within the Classes Tab, or from the Administration Tab > User Sub Tab.)
2) Click on the Student Observations button.
3) Notice the number of observations per page (defaults to the 5 most recent)
4) (Optional) Click on the column headings to sort the observations by Category, Date, Subject/Period, or Rating