Note: The Universal Screener is not assigned by teachers; rather, it is enabled by a district administrator for students to access. Please see below for more information.
The Universal Screener assessment is used to identify readiness for on-grade level instruction. It is typically administered three times a year; though it may also be used on an ongoing basis as part of an RtI model.
The assessments are composed of Math and Reading/Language Arts and are developed for each grade level, K-10. To identify readiness, they include multiple grade levels to allow sufficient “reach” to identify student weaknesses. For grades 2 and above, approximately 50% of the test content is the target grade, 25% from one grade below and 25% from two grades below. The kindergarten assessment has two different forms reflecting earlier and later kindergarten content, given the rapid development at that level.
The test contains 20 – 35 items and does bookmark in case it is not completed in one sitting. Questions are not randomized to allow the teacher to read the assessment aloud as needed. As a formal assessment, proper test administration measures must be taken.
The Universal Screener is not assigned by teachers; rather, it is enabled by a district administrator for students to access. After the assessment is enabled for students, they have a maximum of 5 attempts per testing window to complete the assessment. The Universal Screener assessment form will change for each testing window, but the same form will be used in the testing window to provide consistency through the testing window.
Once the assessment has been completed, Individualized Learning Path (ILP) assignments are modified according to the assessment results.
For all Screeners: Classworks provides audio support. Passages, questions, and answer choices are automatically read aloud*.
Students can hear the entire audio set repeated by clicking the Listen button.
Students can also hover their mouse over a passage, question, or answer choice. If the sound icon appears, students can click the mouse to hear that portion again.
*Portions of the items that have audio support varies based on what the item is intended to assess.
Enabling the Universal Screener (District Administrators Only)
1. Click on your name in the top right and select Manage Classworks.
2. Click the Utilities sub-tab then click Manage to the right of Classworks Assessments.
3. Check the box to enable Classworks assessments.
4. Select your testing window dates for Fall, Winter and Spring.
5. Will your district be using Classworks for the Summer as well? Check the box to enable the Summer Testing windows and select those dates.
Note: The dates cannot overlap.
6. If you wish for the entire district to have access to the Universal Screener, Select the assessment and choose which subjects will be available in each testing window.
If different schools within the district will be taking different Classworks assessments (Summative Benchmark, in this case), you can click Customize by School to select which schools will take which assessment.
6. When you have made your decisions, click Save.